7 Useful Laundry Tips and Tricks All Moms Need To Know!
Dull whites, yellow stains, and fading darks are just some of the challenges of doing laundry. But luckily there are some super simple tricks and tips to keep your clothes looking great.
So if you want to know how to keep your whites super white and get those pesky stains out with simple things you most likely already have around the home then keep reading!
1: How To Make White Clothes Whiter (without bleach)
Do your white socks look grubby no matter how many times they’re washed? Or how about your once bright white t-shirts that have turned shades of gray?
You can restore your whites to their former glory without having to drown them in bleach.
3 Ways to Make White Laundry White Again Without Bleach
- Dissolve 5 aspirin in hot water and leave your whites to soak in the solution for a few hours. Then wash as normal.
- Add a cup of white vinegar to your washing machine’s rinse cycle.
- Soak your whites in a solution of 4 liters water and 1 cup of bicarbonate of soda for a few hours, then wash as normal.
Once you´ve soaked, and washed the items, leave out to dry in direct sunlight.
2: Blacker Blacks and Darker Darks
We´ve covered the whites but what about keeping black and dark-colored clothes looking new?
- For Black Clothes – add two cups of brewed coffee or tea (yes you read that correctly) to the rinse cycle of your washing machine.
- Dark Colors – add 1 cup table salt to the rinse cycle
- To Keep Denim From Fading Quickly – turn jeans inside out and soak in salt water or a 50:50 solution of water and white vinegar before the first wash (on cold).
3: Getting Rid Of Yellow Stains
White cotton and linens tend to turn yellow with time. To remove this and get them gleaming again mix half a cup salt and half a cup bicarbonate of soda with 4 liters water in a large pan.
Add the yellowed items and boil them for 1 hour.
4: Make Your Own Fabric Softener and Sheets!
Fabric softener can be pricey! and let´s not even mention the number of chemicals they contain!
The good news is you can make your own fabric softener and sheets with 2 simple kitchen ingredients and water. Not only is this softener eco-friendly and cheap, but it also works like a charm!
you will need:
2 cups white vinegar
1.5-2 cups Bicarbonate of soda
4 cups of water
- Combine ingredients in a large pan and stir until the bicarbonate soda is dissolved.
- Pour the solution into a plastic bottle with a lid. (an old liquid detergent bottle is perfect)
- Add 1/4 cup softener to the washing machine´s rinse cycle.
To make a fabric softener sheet for the dryer simply dilute the solution with water, dip in a washcloth, wring it out and add to the dryer.
5: Wash Silk Fabric in Hair Shampoo
Use a protein-based hair shampoo and cool water to hand-wash silk garments; the protein will feed the protein in the silk, giving the garment body and making it last longer.
6: Lost Socks
Keep a small clothesline and pegs to hang up lost socks in your laundry room. It’s a quick and easy way to see which socks are missing and to re-unite the pair when you find that odd sock in the laundry.
7: DIY Starch Spray
Need to stiffen shirt collars while ironing but have no starch spray? No problem! You can easily make your own by pouring 2 cups of water into a spray bottle and adding 2 tablespoons of cornflour. Shake well and use when ironing.
So there you have some quick and easy laundry hacks that you can use with everyday ingredients!
Post Similar to Laundry Hacks
I hope you find some of these tips useful! I would love to know what natural or cheap ways you make your whites whiter or darks darker, let me know in the comments!