Audiobooks for kids benefit parents too
(This page may contain affiliate links you can read the full disclosure here)
Quick pop quiz! How can you accomplish the following things with the push of a button:
Help your kids improve their reading skills?
Grow their vocabulary?
Help them sit quietly (willingly!)? and
Entertain them too?
Easy- Play audiobooks!
That’s right Mom and Dad, listening to books on tape provide all these benefits and more.
Did you know that for a significant part of their childhood, your kids’ intellectual capacity will be greater than their reading ability? That means that they can understand the material when it is read aloud to them that they would not be able to read. Interesting isn’t it?
You can play books on tape when you’re in the car running errands. Naptime and bedtime are also favorite times to listen to a story. (And if your kids are like mine, you wear out long before they do so books on tape are a lifesaver for helping them nod off after you’ve done the bedtime story!)
Listening to audiobooks strengthens your child’s ability to listen, a skill very crucial for their academic achievement.
Audiobooks also let your child hear fluent reading with a bit of flair… a lot of them are read by the author or professional actors.
If your child is struggling with reading, audio books associate reading with pleasure…so important if your child is to develop a lifelong love of reading!
Audiobooks help your child learn to visualize a story by using their imagination instead of the pictures (in contrast, watching television trains the brain to be lazy and rely on
Benefits Of Audiobooks for Kids
- Audiobooks help children develop listening skills and quiet concentration.
- Help children understand complex language.
- Helps children learn punctuation, enunciation, and emphasis.
- Increases vocabulary
- Literacy time can easily be increased as you can play audiobooks while your child is drawing, tidying their room, eating dinner, in the car etc.
- Increase a child’s storytelling skills
- Read-along book and CD sets can also help children link the printed and spoken word
- Audiobooks allow children to discover stories that exceed their actual reading age
- Helps reluctant readers discover the joy of books
- Audiobooks are fantastic for restless children as they allow the child to engage in other activities simultaneously
There are also some great benefits for parents to!
- They´re fun to listen to
- Improves storytelling skills
- Buys you some peace and quiet time to focus on other tasks
- Increases your bond with your child by listening together and discussing the story
Why not get your child on the fast track to reading success with the push of the play button too? To get you started, here are some of my kids’ favorite titles: