(This post may contain affiliate links, to read the disclosure click here)
How To Choose The Best Baby Diaper Bag
For any new mom, one of the first things you think about buying is a diaper bag. However, when you actually go to purchase one you enter an entirely new realm of bags.
In theory it simple, you buy a bag to store diapers, so you head to Amazon or your local store to start selecting the perfect bag for you, that is until you are met with endless designs, features, and compartments. You end up lost in all the decisions that go into one ¨simple¨bag.
In this post, I am going to outline diaper bag basics to help you select the right bag for you.
So first and foremost let´s start with the basics.
What is a diaper bag?
A diaper bag, like the name suggests, is a bag specifically designed to hold diapers, wipes, extra clothing, toys, snacks, milk and anything else you need for your baby, it´s the Mary Poppins bag full of useful things for our mini-mes and for us moms.
What to look for in a diaper bag
Before, diaper bags were unattractive bulky carry-all bags, made out of plastic (that are supposed to be leak-proof) with one massive pocket and a few several smaller ones. However, these days there are so many different styles and designs. These are the things you want to look for when choosing your bag,
- Comfort – you will be carrying this bag around a lot! it has to be comfortable and easy to carry
- Storage and space– are there plenty of compartments on the inside and outside for quick and easy access?
- Changing pad – does the bag come with a changing pad? either removable or built in?
- Style – Does it go with everything?
- Lifestyle – for active moms a backpack style diaper bag will be more practical and comfortable than an over shoulder style bag.
What To Pack in a Diaper Bag?
- Diapers (one for every two hours and a few extra)
- Wipes in a zipper bag (these also work as hand wipes for mommy)
- Changing pad
- Diaper cream
- Plastic bags for dirty clothes and diapers
- 1-2 changes of clothes
- Shirt or jacket for baby and mommy
- Hat for sun or cold
- Bottles and formula (for a lighter load, measure powdered formula into clean bottles and mix with tap water at the destination, or pack bottled water)
- Baby food and spoons
- Burp cloths and bibs
- Teething gel or rings
- Pacifiers (pack with nipples in a clean bag)
- Toys for comfort and distraction
- Hand sanitizer
- Sunblock (if baby is over six months)
- Antibiotic cream, fever and pain reducer, antihistamine
- Emergency phone numbers and information
How To Organize a Diaper Bag
How To Clean a Diaper Bag
Firstly you want to take everything out the bag and give it a good shake over the garbage can. You can then give the inside of the bag a light vacuum and then wipe down the insides of the bag (providing the insides are waterproof). Let dry.
Can You Wash a Diaper Bag in a Washing Machine?
Some bags can be washed in the washing machine, however, it´s always best to check the labels and if not stated contact the manufacturer. If your bag can be washed in the machine wash on cold and allow to air dry.
What Is the Best Baby Diaper Bag?
So what actually is the best diaper bag to own? Well, it ultimately comes down to what works for you! If your family is very active or always on the run, then a backpack style diaper bag would work better for you than an over the shoulder style bag. Choose one that fits your lifestyle, and is comfortable and practical. You may even want to buy more than one bag for different occasions or to leave one in the car ready packed.